Skip to main content

Kettle-bells for the Mind

Ok so, I am not an avid gym person workout type buff.  In fact, I just started Weight Watchers two weeks ago.  The only "exercise" that I have done so far to improve my overall quality of life is walking my dog and established a functional and rhythmic routine with him as my best friend and companion that I can also meet milestones with.  My fiance got me a blue brindle Cane Corso puppy back in August this year, 2018 and I have been doing AKC STAR puppy class once per week with him (Graduated!  YaY! onto Impulse control soon!  I have also been walking with him at the local park, at first, aiming for 2-3x per week, rain or shine.  Then, we averaged about .5- 1.75 mi per walk. Perfect for both of us, he's a pup and I'm well, not in shape unless you count round as a shape.  More recently, since he (He Is Groot) is now 6 months old, we have both gotten to abt. 3x per week walking abt. closer to 1.5- 2 mi each time.  Since we have been walking all of this time, I have improved my quality of life significantly simply by establishing a solid routine.  I have lost nearly 5 lb in just over two weeks adding "Weight Watching" to the routine. I bought myself a small milestone gift at my 1 week mark.  A 10 lb kettle-bell.  I would like to incorporate the kettle-bell into my established routine.  I've seen a lot of good reviews about a particular movement, the Kettle-bell Swing so I would like to start with that.

I ran into a problem....;

I cannot do the movement properly.  My brain tells me it's not right, my muscles definitely feel the burn but  I cannot perform more than one set of the kettle-bell swings.  I am frustrated with the fact that my body isn't doing the same thing as what I see on YouTube.  I'm smart enough to know that in the beginning, it's not going to be perfect but it seems like such a simple move right?

Normally at this point, I    Quit......;

This time, I think rather than quit altogether, I'm just going to take it back one step further.  Examine and research why my brain is not performing with my muscles, assuming there are indeed muscles underneath somewhere. I've heard people talk about this concept of your brain being in unison with your muscles.  I want to dive into that a bit more, focusing my energy and frustration on that concept rather than sets and reps and minutes because let's be honest, that's why I've quit before. Why workout if you cannot perform more than 5 minutes at a time without feeling that sweet warmth of numb, inescapable exhaustion?

My new goal question....


"How long does it take for your brain/ muscle to work in unison to perform a more structured movement?

Leaving weight, fat, sets, reps, minutes, all on the back burner for now and creating a foundation goal of perfecting just ONE movement. In this case, I'd like to perfect my "Kettle-bell Swing" or "Kettle-bell Thrust" as I have seen it called on different YouTube video tutorials.  I'll keep walking and working with Groot as my companion animal and best friend.  I don't want to give up now.

If you have an answer to my question, please feel free to leave a comment below.

In case anyone just starting out wants to know which YouTube videos that I have found most useful, here is a tentative list: (I am not in any way affiliated with these people or channels)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Falling into Winter Series: 5 Ways to Stay Connected to Nature this Winter

Written By: I.D Flowers- Green 1.)  Try birdwatching.   *cold weather tip: watch from inside a window.  You don't have to go outside to enjoy the wildlife if you don't want to.  2.)  Get outside.  *cold weather tip: There's no bad weather, only bad gear.  Hats, winter boots, rubber boots, scarves, jackets, coats.  I can go on and on but you know what you need to do! 3.)  Living decorations.  I'll be elaborating on this one in an upcoming article so I don't want to go into too much detail here.  The benefits are endless.  Now's the time to use your imagination.  The sky's the limit, literally.   The aromas of nature are worth it.  Did I mention how much easier it is to decorate for the holidays using nature?  I'll touch on this and so much more later.....onto number 4. 4.)  Sunrise and sunset tracking or simulating.  Did you know that most stores carry sunrise simulators that improve your sleep patterns and mood?  Not into tech?  You can always

Pantone Color of the Year 2019

So.. I decided to blog about my favorite trends since I'm noticing a lot of them give me those warm fuzzy nostalgic feels. (Complimentary RGB code at the end of this article)  I'm not normally a trend follower but 2019 poses some really neat trend projections.  I'd like to amp and share those with you!  My first trend blog post is of.....dun dun da dahh.... Pantone's color of the year!  One of two of my favorite colors!! Just in time to ring in the new year, 2019, Pantone announced the Pantone Color of the Year 2019 is 16-1546 Living Coral.  Pantone calls Living Coral, "An animating and life- affirming coral hue with a golden undertone that energizes and enlivens with a softer edge." IDK about you but this color sets the tone for my whole upcoming year!  Especially setting the tone for my craft business as well as my blog feel! Pantone goes on in their online article to say, "Vibrant, yet mellow PANTONE 16- 1546 Living Coral embraces us with warm